Monday, March 25, 2013

Finn Finnegan Book Review


Darby Karchut creates an exciting new world by mixing modern day  with Irish Folklore in this middle grade adventure.  Karchut is an award winning-writer and local Colorado author.

Finn Finnegan is about a thirteen year old who is half human, half Tuatha De Danaan.  Tuatha De Danaan is an ancient warrior race of mythical beings from Ireland.  At age thirteen it is customary for them to train with an older De Dannan and learn to fight and use their ancient skills passed down from generation to generation.  They are at war with the Amandán, which are goblins that can morph into objects or people for a short period of time.  Unfortunately they can only injure Amadán and therefore only slow them down.  The only weapon that can kill an Amadán is the Gideon Spear, and it’s been lost for a very long time.

Karchut nails the perspective of a young teen becoming a warrior, with all its ups and downs.   This is a fantastic middle grade book for any young  boy.  It’s a clean novel which is something I always appreciate.  I also appreciate the history and Irish Folklore. I give this book 5 out of 5 donuts.



Finn Finnegan is available at Amazon:
http://amzn.to/11E0Q54

And Barnes & Noble:
http://bit.ly/11E12kJ


4 comments:

  1. Wow - thanks for the great review, Tyler. You know I'm dying for your book to come out! Can't wait to get my hands on it! (Can I have a donut?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks for writing a great book! I figure anyone can give out stars, but donuts are just awesome. I really love donuts.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one yet, but I will this summer when I have edits on my middle grade. I like to read what I'm currently editing. :)

    Great review, Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly, I'm sure you'll like FF as much as I liked it.

      Delete