Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Stuck, Stuck, Stuck


Last week while hunting in South Dakota I got stuck.  I was pulling my 2,000-pound dog trailer with my 8,000-pound truck and hauling 600-pounds of pure man in the form of Jess, Barry, Travis and myself.  It had been raining the last few days but it was clear today. 

We were hunting on a private farmland when we approached a muddy area.  I approached it slowly and felt the unmistakable sinking feeling of getting stuck.  “I think we’re getting stuck guys.”  “Just floor it!” Jess yelled.  I took a deep breath, double-checked that I was in four-wheel drive, gripped the wheel and gunned it.  We were out!  A success.  We found a suitable place to park and hunted for a while.  Then we decided to find a new area.

As we were driving we came across another muddy road.  It was twice the size as the first muddy spot.  I again, approached it slowly and thought I was going to get stuck.  “Floor it!” Jess declared, again.  “I dunno, I really think I’m going to get stuck. This muddy spot is a lot bigger.”  “Floor it!”  Apparently Jess had only one response.  So I did everything the same, I took a deep breath, made sure I was in four-wheel drive, gripped the wheel and gunned it.  Except this time I did get stuck.  And the more I floored it, the deep I got stuck.  We were hunting with another group of guys so we called them and they headed our way to tow us out.  Meanwhile we decided to try and unhook the dog trailer.  The moment we unhooked it, we realized that was a mistake and needed to somehow reattach it.  We pulled, pushed, Jess even got a running start and ran into it like a linebacker.  Somehow we finally got it hooked up to the truck and started preparing for the tow.

First we shoveled out a lot of the mud, which was hard because it was years of old cattails and mush.  Then we jacked up the truck and placed rocks and sticks under the tires for traction.  This went on for about an hour before the other guys arrived in their Toyota Sequoia to tow us out….yep they got stuck and we had to push them out.  We were at the mercy of the farmer.  We sent our friends off to find someone to pull us out.  Lucky for us, within ten minutes we found a 17-year-old in the biggest John Deere tractor I’ve ever seen.  The tires were taller than me, this thing was massive.  Before we could even ask him for help, he took one look at us and asked if we were stuck.  He proudly drove his monster tractor over to us and pulled us out with ease.  When we tried to thank him, he said this happens at least twice a week.  It’s basically the highlight of his day.






No comments:

Post a Comment