Friday, September 7, 2012

Skunk


The setting: My backyard
The culprit: The skunk
The Time: RIGHT before I left for work

Since I’ve moved into my new home I’ve had a few run-is with wildlife.  I’ve found out there are mountain lions, deer and skunks roaming around my property.  This presents a problem for several reasons; the first of course, is the safety of my family and dogs.  The second is the idea of my dogs and kids being sprayed by skunks. 



I did some research and found “Kno-Spray” live traps.  There was even video of them on youtube.  They had a 100% no spray guarantee so I felt pretty confident about my purchase.  I received them a few weeks later and set them up one night after work. The next morning I had already gotten ready for work and decided to check them on my way out; I honestly didn’t think I would catch one on the first night.  I was delighted to find a skunk in it and decided to take it down to the pond and get rid of it.  It was in that moment I found out “kno-spray” was a lie.  I was sprayed mere inches from the skunk.  A direct hit!  I dropped the trap and ran back to the house. I had to get to work so I changed my clothes and figured I’d be ok.  When I walked into the morning meeting the girls at work all started commenting on my cologne: Eau De Skunk. Basically it was a bunch of comments like, “Ew!  What’s that smell?”  “Do you smell skunk?” “Crap is there a skunk in the parking lot?”  Obviously I had to run back home and shower before I could see patients. 

The rest of the day passed without incident.  When I got home I saw that the boys didn’t take care of the skunk like I had asked so I went to deal with public enemy #1.  As I approached the trap I was almost overcome with the stench.  The skunk was mad and had been spraying all day long.  I took the trap to the pond, tied rope around it and sunk the skunk.  I noticed a ripple in the water so I leaned over the edge when much to my horror I saw the trap open and the skunk escape.  Before I knew it the skunk had surfaced and was running, nay sprinting, toward me.  I turned and ran as fast as I could while screaming for Jeena to get me the shotgun.  She handed me the gun like a well-rehearsed baton pass in an Olympic relay race.  I started to run after the skunk and realized it was gone.  I stopped dead in my tracks and scanned the area.  GONE.  It’s back into the woods, plotting its revenge.  Skunk 1 – Tyler 0.


1 comment:

  1. dude, you were going to drown it????? I am imagining your screaming Jeena in my head, much like the lovesick way you would say her name on our mission. How I wish there was a camera videoing this!

    ReplyDelete